With the approaching winter storm, and just general cold weather during winter there are some things we need to be sure we are aware of.
- NEVER place generators in your home or garage. Generators should be at least 25 feet from your home, to prevent carbon monoxide from getting in.
- Plan for a possible power outage, store water, flashlights, food that does not need to be cooked, and keep cell phones charged.
- If you use candles for light, be sure they are in a safe place, away from curtains, pets and small children. Always blow them out when leaving the room.
- Space heaters need to be plugged directly into the wall, follow manufactures directions. Buy a unit with a tip over safety switch for turning itself off. Keep away foot traffic, pets, and small children. Watch for any item that may come in contact with the heater, and place on a flat level surface.
- If the power does happen to go out, and you have an alternative heating source, please think of any elderly neighbors of yours who may not. They may not want to bother you or ask for assistance. If you are snowed in for a few days, please check on your neighbors.
- Always use common sense, and if you have an emergency during inclement weather, please dial 911, do not attempt to drive yourself or a loved one to the hospital when the roads are near impassable.
- Bring all pets inside, if it is to cold for you to be outside, it is to cold for them.